The Morning After

That’s how I felt this morning. I woke up early and realized that I didn’t have to get up yet. I couldn’t go back to sleep though. So, at 5:30 this morning, I was slogging around the house trying to remember who I was and what I was supposed to be doing. I finally decided to go back to bed, only to be awakened by the wonderful lull of my son’s cell phone screaming out country lyrics on EXTRA LOUD SO YOUR MOTHER CAN’T SLEEP mode!  I resigned myself and got up.


The washer AND dryer both went out on us right before the weekend hit. We bit the bullet and bought a new set. It’s the Cadillac set of the washer and dryers of the world. We are now in debt again. <sigh> We’re doing our best to get out of debt, but so far………’s one appliance after another biting the dust. The dishwasher also has attempted to die off on us. We will not be replacing it until we save up the money for it. Since we’re planning on moving, I’m going to assume that we will not be replacing it! 😉 


Friday was hubby’s game night. My daughter and I drove him to the big city to play and we ran some errands and basically goofed off until he was finished. We went to Denny’s for supper. One of the other players was celebrating his birthday, so we took him out to dinner. There was quite a crowd of us. We didn’t get home until almost one in the morning! I was exhausted the next day. I hate doing that, but this is going to become less of a habit for us gals and more of a rarity. I am not a night owl like I used to be.


Saturday morning, hubby and I went to breakfast while the kids slept in. We grabbed a bite and went to the appliance store to pick out the washer/dryer set. We got a really nice set. It has so many bells and whistles that it would not surprise me if it cooked your morning eggs and bacon to get ya started off right! It’s fancy shmancy! I just wanted something that would actually wash and dry our clothes without worrying about lint specks all over my finished clothes.


Hubby was asked to guest preach at a little country church outside of town Sunday morning. We walked in and it seemed pleasant enough. Everyone seemed very sweet and kind. We had just settled in when the pastor and his wife walked in. We were told that the pastor had not been to church in several months because he couldn’t get around. He had broken his leg and wasn’t able to get to church. Yet, in front of us was the pastor on a scooter-type thing that allowed his leg to be behind him while he walked. We’re still not sure why hubby was called in to preach.


The pastor’s son introduced himself and then talked to the head deacon and was apologizing all over himself for not being there “in a long time”. He kept saying he’d had health problems and was sorry. His excuses seemed flimsy and insincere, but I just kept my eyes averted from them while they talked. The pastor came over and introduced himself and told my husband he had been in the hospital and a local nursing home convalescing. It made me wonder if he was avoiding his responsibilities at the church or if he was seriously too ill to attend. We were later told that yesterday was the first time he had been back since he broke his leg in March. We’re still not sure what to believe. Hubby is *not* interested in pastoring the church, so I’m glad for that. I had a feeling that there were two wrongs. I think the pastor took advantage of the fact that the church was still paying him and I think the head deacon decided to force the issue by bringing in an interim preacher. It was okay for getting our feet wet in a church service, but nothing I want to do again. They did invite us to come back to visit and they did pay hubby for his service. I was thankful for that.


After service, we went out to lunch and came home. I took a nice long nap. I love Sunday naps! We did see a few people that we knew at lunch, but it was mainly folks that we didn’t mind speaking to. I realize that I miss church and I miss going out to lunch with church friends afterwards. I miss that. I don’t miss the bickering and backbiting. I just miss the good stuff.


We had decided to BBQ yesterday evening. I thought it would be a nice ending to the weekend. We had BBQ pork center loin, hot dogs, hamburgers, deviled eggs, baked beans, and baked potatoes. I know this is awful to admit, but I had never baked potatoes in the oven before. I had never been taught and was terrified of messing them up. We used the microwave, but I didn’t like how they turned out. Too rubbery. Give me the oven ANY day! I turned them on 425* and cooked them for about an hour. They came out perfect! Makes me think I should have a loaded baked potato meal once a week or so around here! The guys would love it with bacon and ham. I would love it with chives, butter, sour cream, and cheese!


The washer/dryer set was delivered this morning and we just washed a load of towels in it. I am hoping they came out okay. It’s so fancy, I don’t know if I can figure out the buttons!


Well, I’m off to talk to my son and see what he’s been up to. Hope you have a good 4 day work week!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s